Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Appreciation Day

Reading my last entry about grocery stores and how ridiculously overstocked they are, I thought I sounded a bit anti-America :(  So I would like to clear the air and dedicate this post to the US and the reasons I love living here.

In no particular order...

-Grocery stores! Now that I'm getting used to them again I appreciate having so many choices and opportunities to find exactly what I'm looking for. Why settle for "extra butter" popcorn when I can have "movie-theater butter" popcorn?

-Doggie bags/boxes. The portions here are considerably larger, but even in Europe I sometimes had trouble finishing my meal. It's nice being able to take the left-overs home with me, even if I do accidentally end up leaving the box at the table or never touching it again once it's in my fridge (I have a tendency to do both... I'd say 90% of the time).

-Store hours. OK, if I had put everything in order this would most likely be #1. This is definitely something I took for granted before my stint in der Schweiz. I can go shopping after 6pm AND on a Sunday?! America really is beautiful.

-Air conditioning! Every building you walk into has central air and is usually set at a reasonable temperature. No more fanning, no more perspiring (doesn't that have such a nicer ring to it over sweating?), no more sleepless nights. Not only is A/C practically nonexistent in Switzerland, but God forbid you open a window to let in a breeze!
*I will admit, however, that I sometimes have trouble breathing now when the air/heat is on. Just have to get used to it is all! And I'll probably end up buying an air filtration system thingamajig.

-Entertainment. There is always something to do, somewhere to go, someone to see. And on the rare occasion that there isn't, well there's always something on TV!

That's enough for the list for now. I think it also goes without saying that my friends and family are the numero uno/zahl ein/number one reason I'm happy to be back in the Land of the Free. But I still love Switzerland! Both countries have their pros and cons and I wish I could combine the positives and create my perfect place to live in. For now I will just continue to be thankful for having the opportunity to experience both countries :)

3 comments:

  1. Have you seen "The Hurt Locker"? Remember how he's in that shopping mall in front of the cereal shelves after he returns home from a tour? And the next thing you see how he's on his next tour because it was all too overwhelming? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I don't remember that scene but it sounds about right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this blog post! So true! haha glad you are getting back into the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete