Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Job Hunting Blows

Frustration central.  I have now been in Tampa for 2 weeks and still have no prospects.  I swear I've sent my resume to at least 20 schools in the area and have only scored one interview in the process.  It was completely last minute, too.  They called and woke me up, then asked if I could be there in 2 hours (1 1/2 really since it would take me 30 minutes to get there).  I haven't interviewed for a teaching position in the US in over two years, so it's safe to say that I was completely unprepared and blew it.  Jon's trying to cheer me up by saying at least it's an experience and now I have some practice under my belt.  But then I have others telling me that I don't stand a chance unless I have an in at a school already, which I don't really...

So.  Maybe I should nanny again?  It's not so bad and I actually kind of enjoy it when it's not mind-numbingly boring.  The pay is obviously nowhere near as good as what I made in Switzerland, but right now anything is better than nothing.

Being a teacher sucks sometimes.  There are a few openings right now because girls are getting knocked up, but it seems that the principals already have people in mind to step in as a replacement.  So the question is, how do I get in their good graces?  How does a person get their foot in the door if the door never opens to begin with?

No comments:

Post a Comment