Thursday, December 9, 2010

GPS Woes

A few days ago Jon and I were talking about me needing a GPS. He was for it, I am against. My argument is that I have gone through 10+ years of driving without ever using one (the few times in Switzerland don't count--> not my car, and the road signs are in German). Any time I've needed directions I simply ask, look them up on Google Maps/Mapquest, or even {gasp!} use an actual map. I'm pretty committed to these methods.
Of course as my life would have it, the very next day I had an interview at a fancy schmancy prep school. I did what I always do and got my directions off Google Maps and headed out in my cute teacher outfit feeling fairly confident. And then I got lost. But luckily I was able to find my way after only a few short minutes! And then I got lost again. Well, I guess not "lost", I mean I knew where I ended up--> on the 10-mile bridge to St. Petersburg. That's right, bridge. As in no exits or U-turns.
When I finally arrived on the other side I did a quick turn-around and sped back to Tampa. By this point I am in a near panic that I'm going to be late for this interview. I guess the stress about being late, my cursing the Google Maps directions, and karma for cutting someone off all combined to teach me a lesson because just as I started to find my way again... Oh yes, I got lost a third time. Now I found myself at the airport. The airport! Where you can't go faster than 30 and you have to circle around the entire thing to find the exit.
Long story short, I called the school and explained my situation and was asked to call again after the holidays to reschedule. I headed home totally defeated with the GPS conversation running through my head. Irony at its best.
I never found the school.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! What are the odds?? Bridge and Airpot?! I am the same way, I never use GPS. You've made me rethink that though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE GPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. After one instructed my up and OFF ramp in Switzerland (my first week with three screaming children in the back) and then led us to a bar instead of a bowling alley--I hate them. And one in TUrkey took us on a one hour detour through the hills of Turkey. The only one I sort of like is teh Garmin. That thing is the shit. It took us from Ohio to Hilton Head, so that was nice. But I mostly hate them.

    ReplyDelete